Many visitors to the Bahamas take the boat from Nassau to Exuma to see the famous Exuma pigs. They think doing so is the easiest way to enjoy a Nassau to Exuma day trip. But is it, or is there a more convenient way to get from Nassau to Pig Beach?
Keep reading to find out.
What to Expect on the Boat From Nassau to Exuma
The ferry or powerboat is the answer that most people use to solve the problem of how to get from Nassau to Exuma. That said, there are a few things you can expect from the experience that might turn you off to the idea of taking it.
A lot of Bumps
When you travel from Nassau to Pig Beach (or anywhere else in the Exumas), you cross over the open ocean. That means that there are a lot of bumps and jolts, all of which make the experience uncomfortable, particularly if you’re someone who experiences motion or seasickness.
Crowds of People
The Exumas are famous for being quieter and less chaotic than Nassau. However, the boat from Nassau to Exuma is not. It often contains crowds of people, further making the experience uncomfortable.
A Lengthy Journey
While most day trips from Nassau to Exuma transport people by boat, that doesn’t mean that it’s efficient. The boat from Nassau to Exuma takes several hours, and on days where the sea is particularly rough, the ferry might not be able to go out at all.
Air Travel: A More Efficient Way to Enjoy Exuma Excursions From Nassau
In contrast, air travel lets you enjoy Exuma excursions from Nassau while sidestepping all of those problems. Take an Exuma Tour from Nassau by plane and enjoy the best way to travel to the Exumas!
A Comfortable, More Intimate Experience
When you fly by plane and skip the boat from Nassau to Exuma, you don’t have to worry about bumps or jolts caused by waves. You get a comfortable window seat that provides you with smooth, uninterrupted views of the azure waters beneath you.
If you’re looking to escape the crowds of people on the boat from Nassau to Exuma, air travel is the best way to do it. Signing up for day trips from Nassau to Exuma that go by plane allows you to enjoy fewer people and the chance to personalize your travel experience.
Unlike the several-hour-long journey the boat from Nassau to Exuma requires you to take, flying by plane gets you to Pig Island and the surrounding cays in around a half-hour. That means more time to explore and soak up everything the Exumas have to offer!
The Top Sites to See on a Nassau to Exuma Day Trip
After using air travel to answer the question of how to get from Nassau to Exuma, you end up with plenty of time to see some amazing sites. Here are some things to see on your Nassau to Exuma day trip!
- The Exuma Pigs at Pig Island: One of the many can’t-miss sites in the region is the Exuma pigs at Pig Island, or Big Major Cay. These friendly, snorting animals live on an island without any people. However, farmers from nearby Staniel Cay bring them food by boat, causing them to now look forward to the arrival of visitors. Don’t be surprised to see them happily swim up to you when you arrive!
- The Nurse Sharks at Compass Cay: If swimming with sharks is on your bucket list, day trips from Nassau to Exuma give you the chance to strike it off. Schools of nurse sharks swim around the local marina on Compass Cay. A Nassau to Exuma day trip by plane lets you see them and even jump in the water alongside them!
- Endangered Iguanas at Bitter Guana Cay: The Bahamas are home to one of the most endangered animals in the world: the Bahamian rock iguana. When you sign up for a Pig Island tour, you also get to stop at Bitter Guana Cay to see them and appreciate the stunning island they inhabit.
- Sandbars at Pipe Creek: No Exuma excursions from Nassau are complete without a stop at Pipe Creek. It’s the perfect spot to see crystal-clear water alongside stunning sandbars popping out of the water.
- Thunderball Grotto: The site of a James Bond film, Thunderball Grotto is an underwater cave system full of bountiful marine life. Snorkeling and swimming around the area give you the chance to see all sorts of fish and coral.
Air Travel: A Better Option Than the Boat from Nassau to Exuma
While the boat from Nassau to Exuma might seem convenient, it can end up making it difficult to enjoy the stunning islands you’re exploring. Instead of taking it, sign up for the experience of a lifetime by embarking on a Nassau to Exuma day trip that travels by plane.
Learn more in our guide to the Bahamas Swimming Pigs, and reach out to us to make your dream Bahamas vacation a reality!